Thursday 28 November 2013

...And Justice For All!


With the verdict of the Ian Watkins of Lost Prophets trial causing waves across cyberspace over the last couple of days, social media has put me in mind of an upturned rock unleashing an army of angry, confused ants. On her Facebook, Laila K described the day as 'intolerable' and I felt much the same. Yesterday, I was moved to have a mini-rant about the concept of 'prison justice' and was alerted to Enter Shikari Rou's BLOG, appealing for calm and the refreshingly sensible suggestion that this could be a chance to understand the pathology of the criminal rather than spilling his blood in a public execution. While I can empathise with the social media outpourings of anger and vengeance, Rou’s angle on the situation is one that I lean towards.

What really started chapping my arse across the day (and the topic of this short blog) was the proliferation of those 'prison justice' Tweets and Facebook posts. You know the ones. They move from the speculative; 'ah well, he'll get raped up the arse in jail', to the hopeful; 'I hope he gets raped up the arse in jail' to the downright jubilant; 'FUCK HIM! DIRTY PERV! He's gonna get cut into pieces then raped up the arse in jail'.

I've just logged in this morning and, for my sins, read a thread on the profile of a Facebook 'friend' (note, someone I don't really 'know') and seen more air fist-pumping with an arbitrary, and frankly terrifying, confidence that Watkin's will get his just deserts. And those desserts will not be served to him through a hatch on a plastic tray. Those deserts will not be delivered by a trial of his peers. They will not be reached through measured, supervised reflection on his crimes, using cutting-edge psychoanalysis and rehabilitation techniques. Oh no. Deserts will be provided by the lumpen fists of a hero from Salford serving twenty-five years for violent criminal affray. Let joy be unconfined!

The comfort that so many people clearly have with this scenario bothers me. There seems to be an accepted consensus that there are these terrific people in jail that are put there for no other reason than to punish wrongdoers for the good of society. It's a fine concept until you consider that someone has to do the abusing. Far be it from me to split hairs about the relative evils between child abuse and blind, ugly, violence involving strangers and the elderly but, by golly, someone has to. 


Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are loads of great blokes in jail. Top dudes you’d well have a pint with. Benefit cheats, weed dealers, chainstore shoplifters, the Irish, that kind of thing. But, and this is just a hunch,  I reckon the ones given nonce-bashing duty tend to be the ones that are a bit handy with their fists, like. The kind of blokes that beat a stranger into a vegetative state because they looked at their girlfriend sideways in some bar called Rios in a seaside town. I have about as much faith in these men administering society’s justice as I do in Boris Johnson re-distributing the nation’s wealth. 

To me, whilst not as taboo within our Sarah’s Law Society, beating a man's brains into the ground is just as perverse as urinating on a girl. And, yes, the details of what went on in those infamous videos with Watkins go far beyond the pale. But nothing can be bad enough that it's going to make me sleep any easier knowing that Big Barry from Bournemouth’s got it covered. I don't want to give anyone the idea that I'm lying awake at night wringing my hands over the injustice of Jeffrey Dahmer’s prison decimation at the hands of some Peckerwood with facial tattoos. But neither am I looking on that as any real kind of justice and I’m certainly not foaming at the mouth and cheering the idea on, slapping my hands together shouting “and that's the end of that chapta!"
It'll be rate. Let Barry deal with it.
The violent criminal that kills a paedophile does it behind the same cowardly smokescreen of self-righteousness and self-loathing that castigates ‘grasses’ and ‘rats’ within that culture. It’s not justice. It’s a self-serving excuse for more violence and sociopathic behaviour that put them there in the first place. To cheer it on is ugly, pig-headed and, yes, perverse and it demonstrates an elementary misunderstanding on the nature, and proliferation, of violence within our society. You’re cheering fighting fire with fire.  If someone in jail for something as nefarious as beating a stranger to death kills a paedophile, that's simply not something a healthy society celebrates.  End of.

So please stop it, internet.

Yours

Barney x

31 comments:

  1. Well said mate. And before anyone accuses him of being sympathetic to his fellow musician READ THE WORDS HE'S ACTUALLY WROTE. While there may be a case that some people are beyond rehabilitation (y'know, the original desired outcome for all inmates who enter the penal system) but we can learn from him what makes a man do such despicable things, and hopefully help prevent others from descending down that dark road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does have quite a nice beard now though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am disgusted by what Ian Watkins has done but the idea of an eye for an eye justice that I have seen everywhere has appalled me. Justice will be served by our Legal system and hopefully they will study him to learn what made him do the things he did and be able to prevent others going that way or at least learn the signs so they can help treat people before they get to this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that sort of reaction often comes out because it is perceived that the acts committed go beyond what is legal and moral punishment. For many a "suitable" punishment lacks morals and legality because the acts themselves were so lacking in it, hence we end up with the "burn him" attitude and lack of belief in the legal system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliantly put blog.

    This of course is the problem in defending basic human rights, even if is "just" defending negative rights (as those of us on the libertarian right are wont to do). It commits you to the defence of the very worst scoundrels. A practice which too many brain donors armed with internet connections appear to confuse with *sympathy* or apologia for said scoundrels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has actually made me look at the whole situation differently. Thank you, this was all really well written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit that I was one of the people who thought Watkins would get his 'just desserts' in prison but you and Rou make a good point. I think that was my reaction because the idea of what he did is so abhorrent to me, but there are plenty of people in prison who have done things I could never contemplate doing. Finding out why he did those things and trying to see what lessons can be learned has got to be a better way to deal with the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Actually it's not! It's deserts as in 'deserve'. Check it on Wikipedia etc. But ta,

      Delete
  9. I see your point but what bugs me is how much you've focused on the potential for him getting hurt in prison over his actual concrete (and horrific) crimes. I get it, you probably love Lostprophets music and see them as peers, but you've allowed that position to spur on a standpoint (and an article) protecting and defending Watkins, when there is little ground to do so. You've even gone so far as to paint a few keyboard warriors and some burly blokes in prison as villains, without considering them as individuals, whilst skimming around what truly terrible things Watkins has done. Yes its not perfect justice by any measure, but there are far bigger problems than a convicted paedophile getting hurt in prison, even if he is/was your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has neither defended nor protected Watkins. The point is simply mob mentality solves nothing and is not a rational act. How is it these days that any response that isn't "Kill them with fire" is seen as defending?

      Delete
    2. I don't love his music or see him as a peer. He isn't / wasn't my fried. Forget about Ian Watkins though, it's not really about him.

      I take the criticism about the caricatures on the chin. It's just a lot of people on my Facebook did react like that. And I agree that there are bigger problems than a paedophile getting hurt, but that wasn't the point of the blog. I was trying to discuss society's attitude towards prison violence as an accepted and rational part of our justice system. Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. I just felt on initial reading that it was all very 'musicians union', and whilst that may not be the case would you have wrote the blog if similar events had happened to say a relatively famous chef/sportsperson/actor? Maybe, maybe not, but as you said that's not the point, merely the inspiration.

      As for the point being about prison violence and our justice system, I've never been to prison nor have a law degree so I probably don't know enough about it to comment. I'll leave that to your facebook friends.

      Delete
    5. John maybe you should re-read what Barney has written - it doesn't point towards him defending him in any way.
      I totally get what you are saying Barney. I posted a link up via facebook & plenty of my friends (mostly parents) were saying he should be beaten up in jail.
      I personally think a good kicking won't do him any harm but it isn't going to solve anything, he will still be a nonce at the end of it.
      The eye for an eye thing is bollocks, he's been caught and put in jail where he belongs.

      Delete
  10. A very well written piece right here, and I would normally agree with the mentality of not making snap judgements and falling for the rabble rousers, but on this issue, I just can agree with you. Removal of liberty just isn't enough of a punishment for this "committed and persistent paedophile" and while big Barry might be an asshole in the street, he's in jail now. Any sort of rape is absolutely unforgivable, let alone to a baby. A fucking BABY for Christ's sake. I'm often called a 'wooly lefty liberal' or some such drivel, but I stand behind what I thought, as I was one of the ones who said he'll get prison justice. I really hope he lives the rest of his worthless life in terror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough. I understand where you're coming from. I think people think I'm more liberal than I am based on this piece. My real point is that I fucking hate people that beat people half to death about as much as I hate paedophiles.

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm with your there. This must is the first time on the internet that there's been reasoned discussion!

      Delete
  11. Some decent points, but this gets a bit close to equating some random people posting blood-thirsty (and emotive) reactions on face-book to a paedophile. Just because people say things on the internet, doesn't necessarily mean that's actually there opinion. Also all the crap about rehabilitation techniques for baby rapers is risible.
    You should also really take a look at why your immediate violent criminal stereotypes are from seaside towns (*wink* *nudge* Blackpool) and Salford as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The point absolutely was not to try and support rehab techniques for baby rapists, it was something that was used to make a point in passing. It wasn't to engender sympathy for a baby rapist either.

      The stuff you said about equating random people to paedophiles I don't get and I don't accept. That certainly wasn't my intention. The piece isn't really about paedophiles. It's the notion that odious, violent criminals somehow become noble if they're raping and murdering people that rape and murder.

      The stereotypes thing I accept as a criticism, but the piece isn't supposed to be a sober, academic reflection on the matter. There's humour there and stereotypes are played on. But I can see how that demeans the legitimacy. But I'm fallible, like anyone else. I just wanted people to think about it.

      Thanks for the feedback though mate. :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I see that and agree that the notion raping/murdering someone for being a rapist is somehow the natural order of things is silly.

      Fair enough, probably was being to precious about the stereotypes thing, just thought as a Northerner you wouldn't want to reenforce that stuff!

      Delete
  12. Not sure I believe in justice. Barney is right, I'm not sure you can call prison rape justice. To say it wouldn't give me some satisfaction would be a lie however.

    There is a part of all of us that wants to see evil doers suffer, but it literally doesn't solve anything. Conversely has this little cunt been served justice by being put in prison? Our penal system doesn't work either. Basically nothing works.

    Evil isn't real... circumstance, upbringing and chemical imbalance are real. They are real and unavoidable. So what to do with them? Kill them? That doesn't solve the issue either as it does nothing to deter similarly imbalanced individuals.

    What we have is as good as we're ever going to get. Best to try to continue to live with as little bitterness in your heart as you can muster and accept those things that you can not change. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally understand what you are saying but my personal feeling is that if he is put in jail with other convicts that choose to harm him then i will not be able to help but have a little satisfaction out of that, after all, the vile things he has done have landed him where he is so whatever will be will be, it is his own doing. Half the people who call for an eye for an eye are so angry by what he has done they are lashing out and rightfully so, i would be concerned about the human race if people didn't! I very much doubt they themselves would go through with carrying out the things they say, if they were that type of person they would surely not be so incensed by this 'mans' crimes. People are venting their disgust and want him to feel the pain he dished out to his victims, a normal human reaction i would say. I think you know that really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do kind of know that. But I really want people to think on it.

      Delete
  14. I think this is a really well thought out piece. 'Prison Justice' is exactly what you have described it as - simply a further opportunity for reinforcement of anti-social (often violent) ways of dealing with the world. Whether the recipient is 'deserving' or not is irrelevant in my view. If there is criticism to be had here, we should focus on the criminal justice system if we feel that it is failing to deliver. Don't rely on the hero from Salford...

    ReplyDelete
  15. i agree with you Barney , but my mate is called Barry , we call him big Barry when we are referring to him and he comes from Bournemouth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very well put! It's interesting as well because I was reading the story about Mitchell Harrison the other day (a rapist of a 13 year old girl) and how he was gutted in prison. I was reading the comments and I was agreeing with comments like "He got what he deserved" and as they went on the comments got worse things like "Gutting wasn't enough pain to put this scumbag through" and I started to realise I wasn't agreeing with any of these statements.

    I don't think either of these people were right for what they did, I don't support them at all. However, I don't think that "Prison Justice" is the way justice should be served. Violence never solved anything and especially when that justice is being served by someone who is just as guilty of a crime as another.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We should also consider all of this in the context of the recent case of the guy who murdered his neighbor because he got it into his head that he was a peadophile:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25139185

    This is effectively the type of person we're cheering on by calling for 'prison justice' / vigilantism... The kind of person who punches someone to the floor, kicks them to death, and burns their body because (without a shred of evidence) they've got it into their head that the other person is a paedophile.

    ReplyDelete